Sunday, June 10, 2007

Yo! Yogurt!

Last weekend my wife and I were snooping around Claremont Village, trying to determine when the Laemmle Theater will be opening (a quick look online tells me it's July 27th) when we spotted a Kiwiberri yogurt shop. We had been reading about Pinkberry yogurt for a few months now in the L.A. Times and we knew that Kiwiberri was a Pinkberry clone, so we decided to go see what all the hoopla was about.

It's about Korean-style yogurt, which at Pinkberry, has had people lining up around the block in Beverly Hills to get their yogurt fix. How bad are the cravings? Well, the yogurt is regularly referred to as "CrackBerry" due to its addictive qualities. This we had to try.

Kiwiberri offers two type of yogurt, regular and green tea. My wife ordered a small green tea with tiny rice cakes, blackberries and walnuts. I ordered a large regular with small pineapple and watermelon cubes and walnuts. We took our cups outside, found a spot in the neighborhood to sit and took our first bites.

It was tart, almost sour but with a sweet aftertaste. I didn't hate it, but come on? Crackberry? I took another bite and it was the same as the first, only my tongue was getting used to the sweet and sour jostling for position in my mouth; not too bad. By the fifth or sixth bite I was loving it and so was my wife. A day doesn't go by that I don't think of that yogurt and want some more. If it was closer I think we would be there every day. Eat this stuff at your own risk!

Someday I will find a Pinkberry without a long line around it and I'll compare the tastes. Until then I will be happy with what I can get without having to drive 40 miles to get it.

No comments: