Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Getting Back in the Saddle

I did this piece this past weekend at Bill Stout's studio. It is not the best piece I have ever done, but for the first time in a long time, this was almost effortless. I'm not sure what happened, but at some point this weekend I just got real loose and things just started to flow.

It may have been that I did something I haven't done in years, which is I did one 10-minute piece in vine charcoal, which forces you to get very messy and expressive, dealing with blocks and forms rather than lines. I think that might have been the thing that freed me up and I plan on testing that out by starting with vine this weekend and see if I get an immediate charge out of it. I feel good.

Oh, and I must speak just a bit about the wonderful model this weekend. She had just perfect breasts and where I was sitting and the way the light flowed around them created these wonderful shapes and contours. She knew exactly what she was doing; she knew her strong points and she played to them in her poses. Just spectacular!

1 comment:

Jason Copland said...

Really nice drawing, Barry!