Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Absolute Mayhem!


Years ago along with Baron Mrkva, I did a comic book called Mayhem. For the first issue I did a frontispiece (inside front cover) of Baron and me. At the time I think we were considering making ourselves the "hosts" of the book. It might have worked, but we dropped the idea after one issue and went instead with a piece by Frank Brunner and me, which was a rejected Alice in Wonderland drawing by Frank.

This piece was done in pencil, working from a photograph. This artwork has really gotten the hell beat out of it over the years, particularly around my face. It never did have a lot of contrast and now has even less. Anyway, Baron (standing) is supposes to look like this monstrous sort of fellow, brush in hand dripping some substance onto the floor, while I sit there wiping the ink(?) off of an ink pen. There is a word balloon for me which read:

Well, well, what is it this time? What motivated your investment in this, uh, "comic book"? I'll wager you are curious, correct? A good start, then. Curiosity is nothing more than interested ignorance… Oh, but don't be offended! It's quite necessary that your be prepared at the outset. Your minds should be open, your imaginations, expectant. We're counting on your curiosity. We've spent a lot of sweat and…uh, blood to produce this book and there's no turning back for us now.

But then, there's no turning back for you, either, is there?

No comments: