Friday, June 29, 2007

Favorite Short Stories -- Shatterday

Shatterday by Harlan Ellison. What do you do when you accidentally dial your own number and you answer the phone? And what do you do when the you on the other end of the line berates you for the mess you've made of your life, tells you how you are undeserving of it and says they are going to fix the things that you have screwed up? Damn is this a powerful story.

It was adapted into an episode of The Twilight Zone in 1985, written by sometimes comic book writer Alan Brennert, directed by horror master Wes Craven and starring Bruce Willis in what I thought was one of the best pieces of acting he has ever done.

1 comment:

George Haberberger said...

I've got Shatteday in "All the Lies That Are My Life." This is my one of my favorite Ellison collections, second only to Strange Wine because that has Croatoan in it.

You're right about Bruce Willis in that Twilight Zone episode. I've got that whole series on video tape, I should get that out and watch this episode before I go see "Live Free and Die Hard." I suspect the contrast will be incredible.