Wednesday, July 18, 2007

There is No Place Like Home

As I type this my mother is being driven home by my wife, finally released from the hospital. It looked like it may never happen.

This morning my father called to say that the doctor had just OKed my mother's release and could I pick him up and take him to the hospital. I emailed work and let them know what was going on then headed off for San Bernardino. By the time I got there and had my father in the car, things had changed. Shortly after getting the OK for release my mother's heart started beating rapidly. It seems her new pacemaker only quickens a slow heartbeat, but does nothing for a fast one. When we got there they were starting a number of new drugs to try and slow down her heart. After a half hour or so we left and I returned home to start working.

A few hours ago my dad called again to say that they had OKed my mother for release. My wife went this time, only it wasn't quite true, but eventually it was and she is now home (my wife just called). I know my mother is glad to be back in her own home and we are glad that at least for the moment, the problems with her heart are all in the past.

No comments: