Saturday, July 21, 2007

Pride (In The Name Of Love)

I knew on Wednesday morning that Indymac Bank was going to lay me off on Thursday. I mostly telecommute to work and I got a call from my boss on Wednesday (while at the hospital hoping to take my mother home) saying that I was to show up for a "mandatory" meeting with my boss's, boss's boss in a large conference room on Thursday. The rumors of layoffs had been swarming around the company for a few weeks, so once I called others and found that they knew nothing of the meeting I knew what it meant.

I went home and got to work. Did I sabotage the system? No. Did I start copying source code? No. Did I begin erasing files? No. I simply went to work and when I was told of a problem we had never seen in the Market Data database, which it was my job to import each quarter and manage, I worked for hours straight to find the problem. I analyzed the issue, a problem that we had not encountered in two years of processing this data, and rewrote portions of an application and a stored procedure in order to correct the problem from reoccurring in the future. Then I isolated the bad data in the database, deleted it and re-imported using the newly corrected process. All in all it took six fairly frantic hours to analyze, reprogram and correct.

Last night at dinner celebrating our 22nd wedding anniversary (could Indymac's timing be any more brutal?) my wife said that that was why she was proud of me, because I gave the job everything I had, even when I knew they were about to fuck me over.

Lose the job, keep the wife? Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

No comments: