Tuesday, July 24, 2007

No Job, Day Two -- A Life of Leisure

When I began telecommuting to work at Indymac Bank about a year and a half ago I thought it would open up my day and allow me to handle the things I never had time to handle. It didn't end up working that way. Though my bosses, for the most part, were open to whatever schedule you wanted that let you get the job done, the reality was that starting early in the morning and working straight through most of the day was the only schedule that supported the needs of the business unit and the other people in my group. And even getting off earlier than if I have driven into work did not provide me much room to act outside of my home office.

A couple of reasons exist for this, writing this and other blogs being one, but the bottom line is that I didn't realize the freedom of schedule that I anticipated. So, things like getting my car washed during the week never materialized. Neither did going to my health club during the early hours of the day or taking in a matinee. Being out of work though has finally afforded me the flexibility of schedule to get those kinds of things done. I finally, if only for a short time, have the life of leisure I wanted.

Today I framed, matted and hung a painting I finished this weekend, got my car washed, did some grocery shopping and took in the matinee showing of the absolutely brilliant Ratatouille. I head off in two days for a long-planned trip down to San Diego for ComicCon, so a lot of tomorrow will be getting ready for that and for the first time I will have all day to prepare and pack. Nice!

No comments: