Thursday, July 05, 2007

Brother Sun, Sister Moon

This film was very hard to come by for years but is now on DVD and VHS. I got a bootleg copy of it one year from my brother for Christmas, years before it was available. I don't know where he got it from. I saw the film the day it came out and had no idea what it was about, just that Zeffirelli was directing and, as I mentioned previously, Donovan was singing.

The day before I was in a J.C. Pennys at the mall in San Bernardino and I saw the soundtrack by Donovan. I picked it up and looked at it but didn't buy it because I hadn't seen the film and didn't know if I would like it or not. The next evening I go see the film (also in the mall) and afterwards I go directly to Pennys to buy the soundtrack, only, they don't have it anymore. The album had been pulled from he stores that morning due to some fighting between the church and Donovan over who owned what (the music was by Donovan but the lyrics were based on the writing of Francesco). Long and short of it, the Donovan soundtrack was out for one day and I had it in my grubby little paws and I didn't buy it. A few years later I had a friend who swore he had a copy of it packed up in a box of albums back in Ohio, but I never saw it. I guess a few years ago Donovan released his own version of all the songs on iTunes.

Here is the title track by Donovan. Simply wonderful, it depicts the moment God spoke to Francesco.




No comments: