Sunday, April 01, 2007

What's In a Name?

I was thinking the other day about lots of pussy, uh, I mean Pussy Galore, that greatest of Bond babe names, and it got me thinking about character names in general. Sure, Pussy Galore was a great name; it added a bit of risque fun to a spy novel and eventual movie, but its value didn't go much beyond that of pure titillation (Hey, there's a funny word!). I'm actually trying to be serious here (yeah, sure!) as I started to contemplate, what's in a character's name?

Like Pussy Galore or Holly Goodhead or even Solitaire (she was a virgin and solitaire is a game you only play with yourself) and other Bond babes, sometimes a name tells you something of the character of the character. All of this got me to one of the sore spots I have with one of my favorite films.

I'm going to play with you a bit here and not tell you the name of the film. It was not a blockbuster, in fact it lost money, but it is one of those films that was made for people who love films (and if you haven't seen it, you should). It just has this one problem. There is a pivotal scene near the end of the film that will not occur if the main character is named something other than what he is named. For the scene to work, the character cannot have a different name.

I'm not talking about who the character is, "You're actually my long lost nephew, the whole estate belongs to you, my last living relative!" No, not who the character is, but what his name is; this is the deciding fact for a pivotal plot point. And this is a pivotal point, not some joke because the character has the same name as a singer (Michael Bolton in Office Space) or has a name that can be made into a joke (the ex Sally Bender "Over" in Coming Home)

Maybe I'm just blanking them out, but for the life of me I cannot think of another film where this occurs. Can any of you?

No comments: