Tuesday, November 21, 2006

We Lost a Great One - Robert Altman

It's strange. When I think of Robert Altman, I don't first think of the great films, though they do come to me. Sure I eventually think of M*A*S*H, Nashville, The Player, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, The Long Goodbye, Popeye and Gosford Park. How can I not. But first though, I think of the TV shows. In particular, I think of one TV show that Altman did a ton of work on: Bonanza.

If you remember the show it is really easy to remember the episodes that Robert Altman directed: they were the outrageously funny ones. If Little Joe entered Hoss into a flapjack eating contest, Robert Altman directed it. While growing up, Bonanza was a Sunday night ritual at my house and we watched it for years. As a child, nothing made me feel more comfortable, more secure than my father's laugh and Bob Altman made my father laugh. Often.

Thanks Bob for all the good times, not just for me, but for my Dad and my Mom and my brothers. Good job!

No, Great job!

No comments: