Friday, April 04, 2008

Buddy

I have a friend at work who told me he was leaving tonight for a Toronto for a friends wedding and that he had a two-hour stop over in Chicago. I said, "Two hours? That's almost long enough to go see if Buddy Guy is playing at Legends." He didn't know who Buddy was and that started a long conversation about Buddy and it also made me realize that I never talked about Buddy here.

Strangely for a guy in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Buddy Guy is just not that well known to the general public, but as one of the founders of the Chicago blues shound, Guy is an important piece of American musical history, one that is still alive and still performing and still making new music. I've seen Buddy twice live and really treasure both experiences. Like the title of his 1996 live CD, Buddy Guy is "The Real Deal," a living blues legend and one monsterous guitar player. Eric Clapton has called Buddy, "The greatest guitar player in the world" and you can see some of that in this five-minute, slightly out of sync video:

No comments: