Monday, April 14, 2008

Black is Definitely Beautiful

As I looked at the stunningly beautiful Crystle Stewart, Miss Texas, who won the Miss USA Pageant this weekend I couldn't help but wonder if some things in America might finally be changing? Are the old racial prejudices dying out? And by "dying out" I mean generationally, for I know what my wife's Uncle Buddy would say if he were still alive. It would be something to the effect of, "We got that god-damned nigger Miss USA now."

I remember when Uncle Buddy bemoaned that his beloved Houston Oilers were an almost perfect team if only "we didn't have that god-damned nigger quarterback," referring to, of course, Warren Moon, the only really great player on the team. That was the same evening he referred to Bishop Desmond Tutu as "a spear chucker" and mentioned to us in passing that our son Brian was a little too dark and look to him like a "little wetback."

Somehow I think Crystle Stewart's beauty would be missed by Uncle Buddy and many of his generation and sadly, maybe it is a good thing for America that so many of them are no longer with us.

No comments: