Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Thoughts on a Season - The Good - Part I

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Studio 60 fell far from its awesome pilot episode, but was still more interesting than most shows when NBC yanked it. I liked the show, watched every episode, but it had a number of problems.

First was Sarah Paulson, who I never for one second believed was the funniest woman on TV or anywhere else. That just "ain't her thang dude." Second, the "show within a show" was not very funny and that is being kind. At times it was almost embarassingly not funny. Third, Steven Weber's Jack Rudolph was unlikable from the beginning and only became watchable in later episodes when they gave him a personality transplant. Fourth, after their first hiatus, the show that came back was not the show that had been on at the beginning of the season. Nearly all of the political edge was gone (the best they could do is "reality shows bite"), replaced by two romances. Given that Paulson was miscast, one of those romances was going to be boring.

Matthew Perry's Matt Albie was great and Perry did some wonderful work here, but his angst over Sarah Paulson's Harriet Hayes never rang true for me because he hated her faith and was enamored with her non-existent talent. I would watch Amanda Peet read the phone book, so I had no problems there.

Timothy Busfield as Cal Shanley has been a standout and someone should snap him up real quick 'cause he has talent just oozing out of him (gee, that doesn't sound good). I loved Bradley Whitford's Danny Tripp and though not used that much, Nathan Corddry's Tom Jeter was funny.

On the other hand, D.L. Hughley's Simon Stiles was a pompous ass and not very funny. Given he IS D.L. Hughley, I can only blame the writing for his lack of humor.

The show had huge problems, but it also had huge potential (that pilot episode was one of the best things I have seen on TV all season) and I, for one, will miss it.

Next time out: Characters Welcome.

No comments: