Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Delp Also a Suicide

Brad Delp's family has let it be known that like Richard Jeni, Brad also took his own life. "He was a man who gave all he had to give to everyone around him, whether family, friends, fans or strangers," the family said in a statement relayed by police Wednesday. "He gave as long as he could, as best he could, and he was very tired. We take comfort in knowing that he is now, at last, at peace."

I'm wondering why this doesn't move me more, why I don't feel more compassion for Brad than I do. I don't think it is because it follows so closely on the heels of the Richard Jeni revelation. It is not completely unknown for famous people to kill themselves. Hell, I remember Freddy Prinze. Maybe it's because unlike the statement from Jeni's family, this one did not speak of diagnosed illness. I know that doesn't mean it wasn't there, but the lack of those words lends the Delp family statement a different flavor and speaks to me of a man who had simply given up.

Maybe that's a harsh assessment on my part; I don't know.

No comments: