Thursday, December 21, 2006

Mark's Tree


I live in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains in southern California in the city of La Verne. When I look out my upstairs back window I see a cul-de-sac not too far from my home and I have a really good view of my neighbor Mark's house. Mark has an electric flagpole in the center of his roof. He never raises a flag that I can remember, but during December he does raise the pole, with a ring of lights attached. What makes Mark's house unusual is the tree of lights he has situated atop it during the holiday season.

Mark's tree is beginning to be a tradition in our neighborhood, but his close neighbors are not the only ones who get to enjoy it. You can see it for miles around. If you happen to be in the area, on the 210 Freeway heading East, if you look up to the hills at night, just a few miles past the 57 Freeway, somewhere around the Foothill Blvd. exit, you will see his tree. Likewise if you are heading West on the 210 you can see it just a few miles east of the 57 interchange, certainly by the time you hit the Fruit Street exit.

This year's tree has a decidedly blue cast to it. Mark ordered these huge LED lights over the Internet for a small fortune and though there are just as many white, red, green and yellow lights as there are blue, the blue is so vibrant that it dominate the color palate.

Thanks Mark!

No comments: