Sunday, October 01, 2006

Not To Be Missed!

On Friday night I took my son Brian to see Grand Funk Railroad and the Doobie Brothers at the L.A. County Fair. I was supposed to take my wife, but Dayle is in Phoenix where her brother had surgery last week for a massive subdural hematoma that nearly killed him. I really wanted my wife to see the bands, but it was not to be... or was it?

Yesterday her brother's friend Steve shows up in Phoenix and someone mentions that Dayle has missed seeing Grand Funk and the Doobies. Steve says, "Hey, the Doobies are playing in town tonight and I'm very good friends with their manager." A quick phone call later and he has two free tickets for the show.

On Friday night I called my wife from the concert as the Doobies were playing Listen to the Music. Last night she called me as they were playing Long Train Running. The current DBs have their original lead singer Tom Johnson back with the band and they sound great!

They have three original members: Drummer Michael Hossack, guitarist Tom Johnston and guitarist Pat Simmons. But John McFee (guitar and strings) is also with the band and though not "original," he joined in the late seventies, he is definitely one of the guys I remember from the Doobies.

I wanted to take my wife to see them; their show is not to be missed, and she didn't!

No comments: