Sunday, October 22, 2006

In Honor of the Series

I give you the first acrylic painting I ever did. Not that I am a big baseball fan, because I am not. I do know who is playing in the World Series, but I will most likely be watching only football this weekend. I find baseball kinda boring. So why did I do a painting of a hand holding a baseball?

A five or six years back I was taking Life Drawing classes at Pasadena City College on Saturday mornings. They only had one Life Drawing class, so I would take the same class over and over. The professor liked me and never really gave me much instruction, but I enjoyed the atmosphere of her class, the use of the models and the way they were starkly lit (being her favorite, I often got to light the models the way I wanted them lit) and so I took it repeatedly. After a while, the homework became a problem. Each time I took the class, the homework was the same.

I think it was the third or fourth week that we did hands. You had to do three pictures of hands as homework. I got tired of drawing hands, so the last time I took the course I did each hand in a different media. My wife and son had given me a set of acrylic paints, a set of nice markers and a set of colored pencils for Christmas, so I decided to put them to use. I did a hand in colored pencils, a hand in markers and this hand in acrylics. To make it even more interesting for me each hand was doing something.

If I don't drag this out during the World Series, I'd never show it.

No comments: