Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Hello, My Name Is Granny Goose

Soap actor Philip Carey died last week in New York. I never watched the soaps so had not seen Carey since the 70s when I would watch reruns of of one of my favorite westerns, Laredo where Carey played Texas Ranger Captain Edward Parmalee. What I liked about Laredo, beside Carey were the stars, the great gravelly-voiced Neville Brand as Reese Bennett, Peter Brown as Chad Cooper and the tough and buff William Smith as Joe Riley. Tough guys doing a tough job in the old west.

But what I most remember Philip Carey for was a series of commercials he did for Granny Goose Potato Chips. Wearing his cowboy hat Carey would look at the camera and say, "Hello, I'm Granny Goose" and then hold up a bag of potato chips and continue his spiel. Cracked me up every time I saw it.

So long Granny.

1 comment:

Rufus T said...

I would watch One Life To Live before I would go to work at an aluminum manufacturing plant on the night shift. Asa Jeb Stuart Buchanan was my favorite.