Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Comic-Con -- First Thoughts

I always have this strange feeling after Comic-Con that I missed most of what I wanted to see. This is usually the result of everything I want to see happening at the same time on Saturday, but that was not the case this time. I think the organizers of this year's Comic-Con spread the goodies out much more evenly over the four days than was done in the past. And yet, I still feel like I missed most of the good stuff.

For the first time that I recall there were lots of "must see" events happening Thursday, like Keanu Reeves and Jennifer Connelly promoting The Day the Earth Stood Still remake, or the entire cast of Torchwood there to promote the best show on BBC America. How about Noel Neill taking about her career and playing Lois Lane on the Superman TV show, or William Katt discussing The Greatest American Hero? Dakota Fanning and Djimon Hounsou discussing Push? Want something more "comic-like?" How about J.G. Jones or Paul Gulacy discussing their artwork? Stan Lee? The Mark (Evanier) and Sergio (Aragones) Show? How about a panel on Modern Masters featuring Frank Cho, Michael Golden and Mark Schultz? All of this happened the first four hours of the convention, before my wife and I even got there. We were still driving down the freeway and checking into our hotel and taking the shuttle to the convention center when all this was going on.

If the Comic-Con organizers have done anything it is make it imperative to arrive on Wednesday for Preview Night, just so you can get your badge and Events Guide and plan out your Thursday morning.

So what did I see? What did I like? I'll tell you next time.

No comments: