Saturday, December 01, 2007

Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel, Dead at 69

I have been working on a couple of blog items on Evel Knievel for a while now and never thought he would be dead when I finished them, but time has finally caught up with America's last great daredevil.

I had the extreme pleasure and great thrill of seeing Knievel jump three times. How did he do? Well, you know the old Meatloaf song, "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad." The last time was the Snake River; I got a few stories to tell for sure as I was 18 at the time and things in Twin Falls were not quite the norm that week that the X2 Skycycle took to the sky.

Love him or hate him you could never deny that Evel was the real deal; no matter how outlandish or just plain crazy the statement, Knievel's word was as good as gold. "I'm gonna jump a motorcycle over a canyon," you'd have to be nuts to say something like that, and then actually attempt it. Nuts, or just pure Evel.

And man could he work up the crowd.

More in the next few days.

No comments: