Tuesday, December 25, 2007

My Christmas Present

When earlier this month a friend of mine asked the question, "What do you want for Christmas?" on a discussion board I frequent, I was the first to answer; I said simply, "A job." I was surprised to see how many other people on the board chimed in that they too wanted a job for Christmas; the economy seems to be much worse than Washington would like you to believe. Anyway, after our cruise, the complete disintegration of the deal that was in the works for a job with Countrywide, my Mom's stroke and my subsequent bout of pancreatitis, I finally started seriously looking for a job in mid-November. At my step-son John's suggestion I began using indeed.com and found a number of jobs for which I was really a good match. One of them was with Corinthian Colleges. I got the call a few weeks ago for an interview and was called back a few days later for a second interview.

When they called me back for that second interview the man I met (my new boss) asked, "So, surprised that we called you back?"

"No. Not at all."

"Oh, cocky and confident, eh?"

"I saw the job specs. It's like you read my resume and then wrote up the job description. I'm the guy you are looking for."

"Well, we shall see about that." Five minutes in, I knew it was mine; I have never been so relaxed in an interview, ever. It's going to be a long drive in and out each day, but it will be to a job that's just what I was looking for and pretty darn close to the money I was looking for. And, best of all, it has nothing to do with the mortgage industry!

No, I take that back; best of all is that I will be working for a company that has as its core purpose, giving people access to a better life through education and training. I can't think of a better industry to be in than one that provides people a more enriching future.

I start December 31st and will be spending a few weeks in the January/February range in Florida learning the ins and outs of a new system the company has just purchased which we are going to be modifying for our specific use.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations Keller on landing a new job that seems to suit your specification, through Indeed.com - I enjoy introducing associates to Indeed. Coupled with an RSS reader Indeed is a powerful job search tool.

C. E. Reid
Chief Savvy Intrapreneur