Sunday, January 28, 2007

Sadness and Joy

Twenty-one years ago today while driving to work I heard that the Space Shuttle Challenger had exploded shortly after take-off, killing all on board. The American space program came to a grinding halt that day, and for maybe the first time we realized what a dangerous thing we had been doing for two decades in, what appeared to be, relative safety. That day we learned that we were deceiving ourselves. I thought January 28th would forever be a day of sadness for me. I was wrong.

Twenty years ago today my wife woke me up at 4:30 in the morning to say it was "time." By 5:00 we were at the hospital and at 8:07 that morning I saw my son Brian come into this world. We had picked a name for him other than Brian, though I now don't remember what that name was, but do know that when we looked at him, the name we had chosen didn't fit. So we waited a few days till he showed who he was, trying on different names and eventually he was Brian. But that morning he was just "my son."

He came to us by way of natural childbirth, the Bradley Method, and as such, he was bright-eyed and wide awake that morning as I took him from the hands of the doctor and held him for the first time. He stared up into my eyes as I lowered him into a bassinet of water and bathed him for the first time. He changed my life, he made it harder and scarier, but oh so much more richer.

Happy birthday son! You survived your teens! The world awaits!

Joy!

No comments: