Friday, January 25, 2008

Forced Lip-Syncing

The Internet is a strange place, where people do strange things. Check out this video of Eric Carmen and the Raspberries from The Mike Douglas Show.



A couple of things here. First, I loved the Raspberries. I remember when this song came out and for the first day or so everyone was convinced it was some new Paul McCartney band.

Second, I used to run home from school every day to watch The Mike Douglas Show, because he was the only guy who would put actual rock stars (Jethro Tull, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, The Rolling Stones, The Bee Gees, The Turtles, Frank Zappa, KISS, etc.) on TV and let them do their stuff, I mean really do their stuff.

Which brings me to my third point: nobody lip-synced on The Mike Douglas Show; everyone sang live. So, what the fuck is this video?

It's a live Raspberries performance, which someone dubbed the record over the top of, turning it into a lip-sync performance. Don't believe me? Look at this and know the truth!

People do do strange things on the Internet, but I can't imagine what would motivate someone to do fake a lip-syncing.

2 comments:

reverendflash said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
reverendflash said...

I found the original video (your link was dead), and although Eric Carmen's singing is live, the instruments are still a mime, taken from the studio recording. So much for the authenticity of a Mike Douglas Show performance.

- Reverend Flash