Sunday, August 26, 2007

In The Shadow of the Moon

We saw the trailer for In The Shadow of the Moon last night for the second time in as many weeks and man, does it speak to me. It might not be the same if you are younger than I am and don't remember those times, but it was a time where one act could bring the world together, in awe and in pride. I watched every Mercury, Gemini and Apollo launch and recovery on TV as a child. My mother made sure I did, keeping me out of school on those days. She said it was more important to watch history being made than to learn of history already past. All of these launches were historic, but Apollo 11 was something else entirely. It was something that transcended borders; it wasn't about the feat of a country or a people, it was a feat for the whole planet.

I don't know how well this Ron Howard produced film will be received, but I sure plan on seeing it. Take a look at the trailer and you might plan on doing the same, and you might find yourself looking back longingly at a time when America stood for something other than greed and aggression; a time when we really were the land of the free and the home of the brave.

No comments: