Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Tiger, Tiger Burning Bright!

As I said a few items ago, way back here, I told of my search for and eventual purchase of a new set of pastels. I also said way back there, that I would put up a few pieces as I finished them. I put the first one up a few days ago, which I admit was done with a number of brands of pastels.

This one is the first to be done entirely using my new Unison pastels and I think I'm gonna like these. A month or so ago there was a big brouhaha on the Internet about the birth of these baby white tigers. The photos got me to thinking about white tigers as a subject and one day while walking our dog with my wife I saw this picture in my head. I rushed home and began work.

In the vision I had while walking I used brown paper that served as both the background and the tiger's striped coloring. I followed that with the actual picture. I think it turned out pretty nice. The colors of this photo do not do justice to the richness of the actual artwork.

As I get more adept with these new pastels I might revisit this subject, 'cause I really enjoyed doing this piece, which is now on display in my living room niche. Eventually we will find a permanent home for it somewhere else in the house.

No comments: