Monday, September 05, 2011

Roscoe's

Saturday night, after the Blues festival, we turned our attention to food and being in Long Beach, I suggested Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. I always get the Herb's Special #3, a full half a chicken and two waffles, which I smother with syrup.

Now I eat chicken most days than not, usually from El Polo Loco and after removing the skin, but I would not think of doing that at Roscoe's. I only eat here maybe once every two years or so and when I do, I don't what to spoil what is for me a real treat. I don't know where Rosco finds these chickens, but they are gigantic, the "Chesty Morgan" and "Watermelon Rose's" of chicken, with huge, juicy golden breasts you just can't wait to sink your teeth into. There is also something in their waffles, some spice, that makes them special and unique and the perfect companion to beautifully fried chicken.

I have a theory on why Roscoe's is so good, why chicken and waffles go together in an almost addicting fashion: chocolate. I know what you are thinking, "What do chicken and waffles have to do with chocolate?" Let me explain. Is there a more addicting food on the planet than chocolate? I don't think so, and the reason chocolate is so addicting is that it satisfies two cravings most people have; chocolate is both a fat and a sugar, wonderfully melded together into a tasty treat, but to our lower minds, our more primative selves, chocolate is fat and sweet and we can't get enough of either, but together it is like a drug.

And so is chicken and waffles, a wonderful mixture of plump and juicy chicken, coated in a light batter and covered in the remnants of the fat the brought it to golden perfection, and waffles, drenched in the sweetest, sugary, maple syrup. Like chocolate the combination is addicting. And since I try to always stay on top of those things which can take control of me, I imbibe rarely, but with gusto.

2 comments:

KB Mason said...

You got that right!
I don't get to California often, but I will never forget my first trip to L.A. about ... my God ... ten years ago.
Roscoe's was the first eatery I was taken to. At that time I had never even heard of the place, but surprisingly the idea of chicken and waffles sounded like, as my old friend Harold would say, More!
If memory serves, I had two wings and a breast. It was/is so damn good that you know it has to be bad for you. I actually hope that they never open one here on the right coast. It's well worth the trip just to look forward to going back.
Better even than going to In n Out.
Burger.

Thanks for a well deserved review of an L.A. institution.

Benton
(Yes THAT Benton)

-Keller said...

In the 80s my brother-in-law lived on Harold Way, which is a small, one-block street just north of Sunset and Gower in Hollywood. In the one block of Gower between Harold Way and Sunset is the original Roscoe's. He lived there a couple of years before they ever ventured into the place. The thing that got them in was passing one night and seeing Magic Johnson coming out of the place with his arms full of bags of food.

They went the next day and in the next few months his wife put on almost 10 lbs. Roscoe's is a dangerous place to pass every day.

Good to see you found the place Benton, both my blog and Roscoe's. I really appreciate reading your work in class.