Sunday, February 10, 2008

Eggs and Sausage...and a Side of Toast

It was 1976 and I was living with my brother Keith in Denver (my one exposure to real winter) and Keith put an LP on the stereo and said, "Listen to this brother; you've never heard anything like this before." It was Tom Waits and had I not been working during the days I could have seen him on the Mike Douglas Show that year. Not only is the song great, but stay for the discussion afterword, it is priceless.



My favorite part is when Douglas asks Waits, "How would you describe what you do?" and he responds, "I don't know. Perhaps a little bit of a curator. Yeah, a little bit of a curator...I'm an unemployed service station attendant most of the time. I'm a living, breathing example of success without college is what it all boils down to..."

No comments: