Thursday, December 22, 2005

Him I Know!

My wife and I saw the exceptional Syriana last night, George Clooney, Matt Damon, Jeffrey Wright, Chris Cooper, et al were wonderful. The film is a tough look at the middle east and America's intrusion there. It's a film about oil, big oil and Islam and the meddling in the affairs of others by the United States. It's a powerful film, hard to look at sometimes but beautifully filmed. You should see it.

But that's not what I'm here to talk about. I'm here to talk about Alexander Siddig. That's him to the left with Matt Damon. Alexander plays Prince Nasir Al-Subaai, the son of the Emir of an unnamed middle eastern country. He has hopes and dreams for his country, of building a better place for his people, a place that will be able to survive the furture when the oil is gone and the wealth no long flows from the ground into the contries coffers. I found him striking and despite how far down the list of credits his name appears, I found him to be the heart of the film. He was wonderful... and familiar.

I racked my brain, but could not think of where I had seen him before. Well, once again, twice in a week it was Star Trek. In this case it was Star Trek Deep Space 9 as Alexander Siddig is also known as Siddig El Fadil who was known for seven years as Lt. Julian Bashir, M.D. Another great mystery solved.

Yeah, I knew him!

No comments: